Gianna Heinemann – Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) – Lakewood’s Varsity beach volleyball team had their end of season banquet on Friday, May 5.
They ended their season with a 6-4 overall record, a 3-2 district record.
They lost their playoff game 3-2 on April 25 against Braden River.
Senior Vanessa Richtfort, junior Marcela Cendana, sophomore Mira Ways, and freshman Kora Yanes all received awards at the banquet on Friday.
Sophomore Sadie Morehead received two awards at the banquet.
- Julia Vendramini received the student athlete of the year
- Mira Ways received the grit award
- Marcela Cendana received the pair of the year award
- Vanessa Richfort received the defensive player of the year award
- Sadie Morehead received the pair of the year and most valuable player award.
Richtfort said “Even though we lost our last game, we still played our best and that’s all that matters. We had a good season and I made so many memories I will cherish forever.”
Ways said, “I wasn’t expecting to receive an award, but I was happy I did. This was my second season of beach volleyball, and I can’t wait to play again in my junior year.
Yanes said, “This was my first season of beach volleyball so I didn’t think I would receive an award over the girls who have played before.
“I made mistakes, but I learned from them, and I will apply everything I learned to next year’s season,” added Yanes.