Alexandra Devine – Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) – The LRHS Vocational Department had the highest total Industry Certifications earned by students in Manatee County high schools in the 2021-2022 school year.
Students earn industry certifications by taking year-end exams in subjects such as business, early childhood and technical education courses. Certifications earned by students can be recognized by businesses and industries at local, state, and national levels.
LRHS earned $234, 681.59 due to having the most Industry Certifications.
LRHS vocational teacher Dr. Roberta Colson said, “The federal funds earned can be put into our internal accounts where we purchase our labs, upgrade our equipment and software, and other supplies that we would otherwise not be able to afford.”
Mustangs can earn Industry Certifications at LRHS through the following classes:
- Digital Information Technology, Diversified Career Technology Principles, Diversified Career Technology (OJT program)
- Marketing Essentials, International Marketing
- TV Production
- Foundations of Web, User Interface Design, Media Integration Essentials, Game and Simulation Foundations, Game and Simulation Design
- Applied Career Technology, Foundations of Robotics and Robotic Design Essentials
- Agriscience, Horticultural Science, Animal Science and Services
- Early Childhood Education
The certification also proves that students have the necessary skills to succeed.
“The professionalism and commitment to our students and the industry is evidenced by their success in getting students to pass these rigorous exams,” continued Colson.
Vocational teachers must take and pass the same exams as students in order to be certified to teach the classes.