Kaitlyn Harper -Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) – LRHS HOSA members recently competed in their regional competition and 16 members will be moving on to the state competition.
The following will be moving on to the state competition in their categories –
- Julia Felice – Cultural Diversity & Disparities
- Parmis Cyrus – Dental Terminology
- Sara Gluszak – Human Growth & Development
- Akilah Challa – Med Law & Ethics
- Sara Huszar – Medical Math
- Maria Moreno – Medical Reading
- Aksharaa Praveenhumar – Medical Reading
- Nathanial Bentze – Medical Terminology
- Maya Rengifo – Prepared Speaking
- Olivia Heim – Nutrition
- Aneesa Shariif – Pharmacology
- Sophia Felice & Anastasia Jenkins – CPR/First Aid
- Alicia Hebert, Surain Ranajee, and Sarisa Ranajee – Public Health
HOSA is a club for students interested in pursuing the medical field and going into healthcare.
Rengifo received first place in prepared speaking.
Rengifo said, “States will be in person this year so I am really excited, but it will be bittersweet since it is my last one and I have been doing HOSA for five years.”
Huzar received second place for medical math. In this category she calculates dosages of medicine and determines other mathematical analysis in the medical field.
Huzar said, “I feel like learning medical math is very important as these are basic applications that doctors must do on an everyday basis.”
Junior Kate Tuchman and junior Tierney Thornhill received fifth in the health career display category. In this category participants make a posterboard about any career in the healthcare profession.
Tuchman stated, “I thought it was a lot of work compared to the other events, but I enjoy doing projects, so overall I enjoyed doing this.”
The HOSA state competition will be from Saturday, April 9 – 12 in Orlando.