Erin-Elizabeth Purcell – Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) – The LRHS agriculture program has officially finished the 2022 Manatee County Fair.
The fair opened Jan. 10 and closed on Jan. 23 making this a very busy two weeks for the LRHS agriculture and Future Farmers of America (FFA) programs.
Mustangs competing in show and showmanship competitions for steer, dairy heifers and swine, chickens and even plants met with great success as almost every exhibitor placed in their classes.
Top awards included junior Issy Monroe winning grand champion in Senior Showmanship, Seniors Maddy Hartwig and Hannah Yancey took first in fitting and grooming and senior Madeline Fields won second reserve in her class and earning a callback in the County Calf competition.
“We did even better than I had expected” said Agriculture teacher James Wheeler “this is my first year with the LRHS agriculture program, so I did not know what to expect and they grandly exceeded my expectations.”
While the fair is the most exciting time of the year for these Mustangs, for many other seniors it was an extremely bittersweet moment.
“Knowing that this is our last fair is really hard, a lot of us actually started to cry in the show ring during the auction on our last night because it is just such a life changing experience and a lot of us aren’t really ready for it to be over,” said senior exhibitor and FFA president Madison Hartwig.
Even with the Manatee County Fair coming to a close the agriculture program is not slowing down and have next year’s cattle coming in as soon as February.
LRHS fair awards include –
- 2021 Grand Champion Market Hog Shown by Jersie Rohde.
- Reagan Gross- First in class & showmanship call back
- Alexis Intelisano- First in class
- Delany Falkner- First in class & Showmanship Call back
- Jenna Lubrino- First in class & Reserve Champion Division 1
- Josie Romine- Second in class & Call Back in Final Drive
- Kaylee Shear- Third in class
- Albert Ryser- Fifth in class
- Stormi Mcmenamin- Fifth in class & Showmanship call back
- Savannah Seleska- Third in class
- Shelby Heim- Third in class
Steers and Heifers:
- 2021 Reserve Champion Brahman Influence Heifer
- Isabelle Monroe- Grand Champion Senior Showman & First in class * Steer
- Hannah Yancey- Second Overall Senior Showman & Fourth in class * steer
- Madison Hartwig- Third Overall Senior Showman & Fourth in class & County calf call back
- Madeline Fields- Second in class & County Calf Call Back *steer
- America Rios Cardona- Sixth in class *steer
- Sam Jones- County calf call back *Steer
- Luke Vansant- Third in class
- Melanie Lawson- Third in class
- Ryann Hilyer- Fourth in class & Senior Showmanship call back *steers
- Taylor Zwart- First in class *Steers & Showmanship call back
- Kaylee Shear- Third in class *Beef Breeding
- Isabelle Monroe- First in class Cow Calf Pair & Second in class heifer *Beef Breeding
- Ryann Hilyer- Third in class heifer *Beef Breeding
- Josie Romine- Third in class heifer *Beef Breeding
- Hannah Yancey- Third in class & Third overall senior showman *Beef Breeding
- Maddy Hartwig- Third in class & showmanship call back
Chapter Exhibitors: Luke Vansant & Jersie Rohde & Kaylee Shear.
Our chapter steer was purchased by JC Procrete and our chapter hog was purchased by Peace River Electric.
- Senior Fitting and Grooming Champions- Maddy Hartwig and Hannah Yancey
- Maddy Hartwig- Third overall Senior Showman & First in class & Holstein breed final drive
- Morgan Barton- Senior Showmanship call back and First in class.
- Talia Beltramea- Third overall Senior Showman
- Morgan McGinnis- Fourth Plant Production