Cassidy McLellan- Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) – Mustangs may have noticed a new memorial walk in the courtyard.
The Mustang Memorial Walk is dedicated to honoring and remembering the lives of the “Forever Mustangs,” who passed away while attending the school.
The purpose of the project is to provide a place for Mustangs to relax and have a place where they can honor the memories of fellow Mustangs who have passed away.
The memorial was proposed by the parents of Chase Coyner and Matthew Powers, two students killed in a September 2018 car accident. Over the course of the winter 2018-19 the Coyner family and staff discussed wanting to dedicate something at the Ranch to remember the boys and give something of use to their friends and fellow students.
After discussing many options, Principal Dustin Dahlquist and the Coyner family decided on the concept of The Mustang Memorial Walk. The school developed a proposal and Dahlquist presented it to the school board for approval.
The Mustang Memorial Walk is dedicated to all Mustangs who have passed away while they attended the Ranch, but the central bench and tree are dedicated to Coyner (class of 2019) and Powers (class of 2021).
Parents of the boys released a joint statement. “The dedication ceremony will be on Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. The ceremony will be socially distanced, and masks are required. All guests must enter through the front of the school and will have their temperature taken.”
The families and administration would like to thank –
- Lakewood Ranch Sign’s and More for donating the temporary sign.
- Ralph Taylor’s Nurseries and LRHS agriculture teacher Janyel Taylor for the donation of the memorial tree.
- Wow Landscapes for donating the time and equipment to place the stone.
- Euro Quarries for helping find the right stone.
- Westcoast Landscape and Lawns for donating the material and labor for the landscape and irrigation work.
- The LRHS staff for their patience and assistance.