Adina Mayo – Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH)- On Saturday, Nov. 2, the LRHS Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) Orienteering team competed in the Fort de Soto Suncoast Orienteering meet hosted at the Fort de Soto Battery Area.
The team earned first place overall, with first places in all three categories: novice (yellow), intermediate (orange), advanced (green).
Junior Elise West, the Battalion Assistant S-3 (AS-3) ran the advanced course for the first time this year and placed third.
“I don’t think that this course was that hard compared to the ones that we’ll run in the next few months,” said West. “I got lost and had no idea where I was for the first time, but I was really proud of myself when I figured it out.”
Junior Rachel Gonzalez, the Battalion S-1, competed in the intermediate category and placed first.
“The most challenging thing about this meet was starting because it was a mass start, which I had never experienced before,” commented Gonzalez. “It was confusing because everyone just went off at once in all different directions.”
Senior Ethan Nicholls, the Battalion Commander (BC), ran the advanced course for the second year in a row and placed first.
“This meet was a score-o, which means that you can find the points in any order and each point is worth a certain amount of points for your score,” said Nicholls. “I did better than I thought I would because I kept a constant pace and was able to run the whole time.”
- Faith Craig, freshman – first
- Lily Fox, junior – second
- Olivia Sahr, sophomore – third
Novice, Male –
- Jackson Fox, freshman – second
Intermediate, Female –
- Rachel Gonzalez, junior – first
- Christina Williams, senior – third
Intermediate, Male –
- Nick Stanley, senior – first
- Christopher Pecht, sophomore – second
Advanced, Female –
- Hannah Ramsden, junior – first
- Kora Turner, junior – second
- Elise West, junior – third
Advanced, Male –
- Ethan Nicholls, senior – first
- Victor Klein, sophomore – third