Emma Brooks – Mustangs Ahead
(LAKEWOOD RANCH, FL) -The LRHS National Honor Society (NHS) held its first meeting of the second semester on Jan. 8.
Officers discussed upcoming volunteer events that will be available to members during the semester.
- Ace Hardware is hosting the Mustangs for Kids car wash on Jan. 12 from 9 a.m. -2 p.m.
- The Mustangs for Kids dance marathon will take place from 5-10 p.m. on Jan. 26 in the school cafeteria.
- Miracle league baseball starts again in February, each Saturday students will have the opportunity to play baseball with special needs children from 7:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- On Feb. 9, the Riverwalk Regatta is being held. Students will work two hour shifts at booths and help hand out waters.
- A Valentine’s day dance is being held at the YMCA on Feb. 16, members will work various stations from 5:30 to 8:30.
- Continuing into the second semester, McNeal Elementary is allowing students to assist in their after-school child care program, where they watch and play with the students. Volunteers are allowed to come assist every other week.
- Teacher help will also be available on select days after school.
“I have a few events that I am planning on signing up for such as Miracle League and the dance marathon,” said junior Anna Stock.
Officers also discussed that senior hours will be due within the first or second week of April, before the rest of the members must submit their community service hours.
“It is very important for seniors to ensure they have their hours completed and turned in, this isn’t our rule it was set in place by guidance,” said Junior Parliamentarian Manoela Dos Santos.